Sunday, August 31, 2014

Xmas in a Jar

So, I've been on a canning kick lately. My parents and my uncle have heavy producing fig trees. I have no idea what type of figs they are. They were cuttings from a tree that was brought over from Italy years ago. Anyway, I've found figs are perfect for both sweet and savory jams. I've made a horseradish roasted garlic, peppered balsamic and, what I like to call, Xmas in a jar. Xmas in a Jar is what we are here for. The flavors remind me of the Christmas tea mix Mama made when I was a kid. The smell of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves that fills the kitchen always brings me to a happy place. So with no further ado, I give you Xmas in a Jar.


Ingredients:
4lbs figs, washed
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg




  1. Cut stems from figs and chopped roughly and put in a large non-reactive stockpot.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour or until jam stage is acheived, stirring occasionally.
  4. Using an immersion blender, puree to desired consistency. (I like mine very smooth)
  5. Pour into prepared 1/2 pint or 1/4 pint jars, leaving at least a 1/4 inch headroom and wiping rims.
  6. Put on lids and rings and prrocess in  boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
  7. Remove carefully, allow to sit at least 12 hours undisturbed. After 12 hours check seal.
Makes 7-8 half pint jars.


No comments:

Post a Comment